Dailies. Versioning. Conform. Color. Finish.
The SCRATCH digital workflow sets the industry standard. Again.
The era of Creative DI has arrived. SCRATCH® is the first real-time, client-attended toolset in the industry to marry dailies, conform, editing, color grading, titling, 3D compositing and finishing into a single, consistent interface. This dynamic synergy fuels a new type of creative, fast and fluid DI session that is completely changing the way Directors and DPs look at DI.
- v8.2 is here! Expanded Metatdata, Live View and Oculus Rift support
One tool to buy and learn for the entire post-production workflow
SCRATCH delivers real-time data management, dailies, conform, advanced color grading, 3D compositing, finishing and mastering- all in one place.
So, you don’t have to buy, learn and then integrate multiple disparate applications.
Once you learn SCRATCH, you have an entire post-house in a box - perfect for boutique facilities or freelance artists.
SCRATCH is insanely fast - delivering better client-attend sessions.
SCRATCH will save you tons of money on VFX.
Only SCRATCH seamlessly blends world-class color correction with deep 3D compositing and OFX plug-ins in one unified, real-time system - at a price you can actually afford.
No more interrupting your DI session because you have to send out beauty shots or quick object-replacements.
This way of working is not only faster and cheaper, but the ultimate in creativity.
With SCRATCH, you can work with anything.
SCRATCH starts by opening any format you can throw at it, so it’s a must-have for playback and VFX dailies review.
It supports seamless Avid and FCP integration and round-tripping and it’s a killer conform engine.
SCRATCH even supports XML integration with other tools in your workflow such as Nuke, Shotgun.
SCRATCH connects you to the Cloud.
The new Remote feature, and Integration with MyASSIMILATE cloud-based workflow tools mean SCRATCH artists have unparalleled levels of collaboration with other artists - anywhere at any time.
Either in real-time remote sessions, or offline via the Project Repository, SCRATCH and MyASSIMILATE smash the barriers of location-dependence.
Now, any number of artists can contribute to a project at any time, from anywhere - and it doesn’t cost any extra.
Pay only when you have a gig.
Nobody else makes software this easy to get. Start with our 90-day free, fully functional trial and use SCRATCH on a real job. Like what you see?
You can rent it by the day, the week, or the month; or save even more money with an annual subscription - instantly from the ASSIMILATE Store.
So, you only have to pay when you’re getting paid. And only SCRATCH resellers offers full 4k HP and Mac-based turnkey systems for the price of a 2K system.
For more information, or to find a reseller in your area, please visit: www.assimilateinc.com/4k-for-the-price-of-2k
Whether you want to rent for a day, week, year, or subscribe for a month, or purchase a site license, SCRATCH offers payment options for every conceivable budget:
For those that need every-day access to SCRATCH, but need the ultimate in affordability, we offer various rental options. For only $3300 USD for an annual license, you get full access to the latest version SCRATCH including any updates we ship during the period. And you can renew your rental or subscription any time, and from anywhere you can connect to the Internet. During your active period, you will be eligible to receive ASSIMILATE support and all new software versions that we ship.
- 1 Day Rental $50
- 1 Week Rental $150
- 1 Month recurring payment Subscription $300
- 1 Year Rental $3300
For those folks that prefer to own their software assets, you can still purchase permanent licenses of SCRATCH just as you always have, and pricing for licenses and maintenance/support has remained unchanged. To purchase SCRATCH, either find a Reseller here, or contact your ASSIMILATE sales representative.
ASSIMILATE’s SCRATCH® Site License program offers the industry’s most phenomenal value to post-production artists and facilities. Innovative and unique to the industry, the SCRATCH Site License offers creative DI Artists, post-production facilities, and studios unprecedented access to all-you-can-use SCRATCH licenses at a single site or around the world*. This means that facilities can maximize productivity and creativity by providing the state-of- the-art SCRATCH DI tool to an unlimited number of their artists without the limitations of software licensing.
This program is specifically designed for facilities that employ a large, flexible, workforce that ebbs and flows. It is also particularly attractive to rental houses that need to constantly set up systems with new licenses, but don’t want the complexity of managing licenses and hardware dongles.
The SCRATCH Site License Program features 2 options:
SCRATCH Site Annual
All-you-can-use licenses at a single site. This option is priced at $33,000 USD annually, and includes all maintenance and support for the term.
SCRATCH Site Enterprise Annual
All-you-can-use licenses at any number of your sites across your entire enterprise, worldwide. This option is priced at $55,000 USD annually, and includes all maintenance and support for the term.
All SCRATCH Site License customers are able to view, manage and extend their licenses through the unique MyASSIMILATE online portal (http://myassimilate.assimilatesupport.com).
MyASSIMILATE allows customers to see a top-down view of all their licenses, see which ones have been activated, and on which machines. It also allows customers to extend rental licenses and even generate emergency temporary licenses. For more information about MyASSIMILATE, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below are a few introductory tutorials to help get you started. Enjoy!
Creating Apple ProRes dailies on Windows using SCRATCH and SCRATCH Lab
Instructional video covering the basics of SCRATCH v8 software.
This tutorial shows you how easy it is to create ProRes dailies using the Apple-licensed ProRes encoder in SCRATCH and SCRATCH Lab…on Windows.
PC: Upgrading the CSP (Codec Support Pack)
PC: Upgrade du CSP (Français)
Upgrading the CSP (Codec Support Pack) with SCRATCH v8 on Windows (Language: English)
Upgrading the CSP (Codec Support Pack) with SCRATCH v8 on Windows (Language: French)
Mac: Upgrading the CSP (Codec Support Pack)
Mac: Upgrade du CSP (Français)
Upgrading the CSP (Codec Support Pack) with SCRATCH v8 on Mac (Language: English).
Upgrading the CSP (Codec Support Pack) with SCRATCH v8 on Mac (Language: French).
Cyan, Magenta and Yellow "3 stripes" colorgrading and blending modes
Etalonner en C-M-Y (3 bandes) à l'aide des modes de fusion (French version)
Quickly create looks in Cyan, Magenta and Yellow using the "3 stripes" method (quite similar to the "Technicolor 3 stripes process"). Also a look at how Blending modes can be used in a color grading context.
L'idée de ce tutoriel est de vous expliquer comment mettre en place très rapidement un étalonnage utilisant la méthode des "3 bandes" Cyan, Magenta et Jaune dans l'esprit du procédé Technicolor. C'est aussi l'occasion de voir comment…
The Gallery (Full length - English)
The Gallery 01 - Overview
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - An in-depth view.
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - An overview.
The Gallery 02 - On-set dailies: Setting up the project
The Gallery 03 - On-set dailies: Shot Groupings
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - On-set dailies: Setting up a project.
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - On-set dailies: Shot Grouping.
The Gallery 04 - On-set dailies: Comparing Grades
The Gallery 05 FilmstripTool
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - On-set dailies: Comparing Grades.
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - The Filmstrip tool.
The Gallery 06 - FilmstripTool - Organizing Elements
The Gallery 07 - Filmstrip tool + Copy/Paste
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - The Filmstrip tool - organizing elements.
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - The Filmstrip tool + Copy and Paste.
The Gallery 08 - Memory Bank
The Gallery 09 - MyASSIMILATE
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - The Memory Bank.
The Gallery on SCRATCH v8 - MyASSIMILATE.
SCRATCH Web - Overview
SCRATCH Web - How It Works
SCRATCH Web - An Overview.
SCRATCH Web - How it works.
SCRATCH Web - Publish Media
SCRATCH Web - Publish Media (Français)
SCRATCH Web - Publish Media
SCRATCH Web - Publish Media (Français).
Repository - Overview
Repository - Overview
Repository on SCRATCH v8 - An Overview.
Repository on SCRATCH v8 - How it works.
Remote 01 - Overview
Remote 02 - Setting up a session
Remote on SCRATCH v8 - An Overview.
Remote on SCRATCH v8 - Setting up a session.
Remote 02 - Setting up a session (Français)
Remote 03 - Connecting a session
Remote on SCRATCH v8 - Setting up a session.
Remote on SCRATCH v8 - Connecting a session.
Remote 04 - Sharing Media
Remote 05 - Guest vs. Moderator
Remote on SCRATCH v8 - Sharing media.
Remote on SCRATCH v8 - Guest vs. Moderator.
Remote 06 - the "laser pointer"
Remote 07 - Moderator roles
Remote on SCRATCH v8 - The "laser pointer".
Remote on SCRATCH v8 - Guest vs. Moderator.
SCRATCH for Resolve Users
Differences and similarities when working with Resolve and SCRATCH.
SCRATCH features include:
Full resolution support for RED, ARRI, Sony, Canon, Panasonic, DLSR and all other popular camera and media formats
Featuring unmatched real-time performance and reliability, SCRATCH removes the risk and frees the filmmaker and DP to get the most from a high-resolution digital shoot.
Real-time full resolution, native playback of all popular camera formats
- Fully ACES compliant
- Oculus Rift VR360 file format including Cylindrical, Equi-rectangular, and Cube formats, for output to a secondary monitor, or an Oculus Rift DKI or DKII
- REDCODE RAW.r3d including monochrome footage. Support for multiple RED Rocket cards with DRX control
- RED Dragon
- ARRIRAW including new ASSIMILATE customARRI fast Debayer – built for significant speed while still preserving color accuracy
- Sony F5/F55/F65 including 6K and 8K
- SONY Mpeg-2 .mp4, .mov and XAVC HD/4K .mxf
- Panasonic P2/MXF and AVCHD
- Canon C500, C300, Magic Lantern (.raw and .mlv), 5D, 7D5D, 7D
- Blackmagic Design Cinema DNG, BMDPocket camera
- Vanguard Video H.264 encoding (Mac and Windows)
- Aaton Penelope
- Over 50 additional formats
Powerful finishing tools
- Shot Versioning: SCRATCH CONstruct manage multiple versions of the same 2D or 3D shots within the same timeline for easy comparison
- Vector paint
- Subtitling support
- Apply OFX plug-ins to create a wide range of visual effects
- Direct Output: Real-time tools for frame-rate conversion, image-resolution scaling and frame-accuracy to monitors, projectors and tape decks using both DVI and SDI interfaces
- Multiple Deliverables: Create alternate versions in different resolutions, image formats and framing, all from a single source
Fast, highly interactive color grading
- Real-time, non-destructive primary and secondary color grading
- Heads-up color grading interface and support for Avid Artist Color panel series or all Tangent panels - including the Element
- Source-side adjustments for mixed color space workflows
- Match and auto grading
- 2D and shape tracking
- Keying based on Vector, Chroma or Luminance
- Controls for finessing keys
- Integrated Histogram, Waveform, Vectorscope and Color Curve views
- Group shots, copy/paste color grades and reference libraries
- Key frames and animation curves
- Import and save 1D and 3D LUTs based on primary color grades
- Support for a shaper LUT inside a cube LUT
Enhanced creative compositing tools to deliver Creative DI
- An enhanced compositing toolset, with a new 3D camera model featuring an improved OFX plug-in environment and plug-in workflow, that allows full peer interactivity between all SCRATCH features and critical VFX plug-ins, such as Sapphire, Neat Video, ReelSmart Motion Blur, and Beauty Box
- Ability to nest layers and apply color grades to groups of layers.
- New rendering features, including directional and motion blur, multi-sampling, and bit-map filtering
- Planar tracking data import from Imagineer System's mocha Pro v3.1. New support and process for SCRATCH users to import mocha's planar tracking data for transform, scale, rotation and corner pin perspective. With the new mocha Pro to SCRATCH workflow, artists can seamlessly tackle the most difficult motion tracking shots for screen inserts, match moves, set extensions and image stabilization.
An entirely new, flexible viewing model
- Create dual views of any image in a project by quickly and easily selecting a version, a reference, a clip from any video track, or a color buffer
- Compare them using one of two methods: a difference method, or an overlay method with opacity controls and a 360 degree wipe
- One of the dual views can be designated as an output view (showing the final result of a shot), while the other is a fully functional working canvas with access to even the deepest elements of a shot, including a complex composite or color grade
- Intuitively manipulate any element of the working view and instantly see its resulting affect updated to the output view at full resolution and in real time
High-speed conform and confidence checking
No other software offers the range of tools for quickly conforming and checking against a reference clip.
- Mix-and-match RED.r3d files with ARRIRAW or Phantom (or any other media format recognized by SCRATCH), even Canon DSLR, within the same resolution-independent timeline
- Dual-View, Half-Mix and Side-by-Side comparison options
- Quick Keys for moving through a timeline and edit tools for shot manipulation
- AAF import and MXF integration
- Import and export ALE
- Final Cut Pro XML import
- Final Cut X 1.4 support for conform
- Shot log metadata import
- Metadata search
- Stereoscopic 3D versioning
- CDL support
- Output to multiple file formats such as DNxHD, DPX, ProRes (Mac OS version only) Tiff, JPG, Quicktime, MXF and more
- Export with timecode and metadata
- Multilayer timeline
State of the art metadata and timecode support
- Sync timecode from multiple cameras (including stereo) with a unique “Match Timecode” function. Stack cameras into a single slot, then automatically sync the timecode all of cameras to one of them.
- Generate dailies by automatically naming clips based on any metadata field, including camroll, scene and take.
- Create flash burns either at the top and tail of a clip, or throughout its duration.
- Capture scene and take metadata automatically from broadcast wave audio files.
- Automatically generate new timecode for DSLR cameras such as the Phantom, Canon 5D/7D and GoPro that don’t support it. Easily increment the timecode with each slot and even skip by user-defined intervals.
- Populate Avid AAF files with extended metadata, avoiding the double pass to access that ALE files required. This effectively removes the need for separate ALEs.
- Select, update, add or remove metadata in a spreadsheet editor-style. Update metadata for a single shot or multiple shots at once, as well as update data by entering plain text or using formulas that contain other metadata items. New metadata can then be exported via ALE or XML to be imported into other systems or integrated with other proprietary tools.
- Match/find, load and apply looks to multiple shots in the form of 3dl, CDL, LUT or XML, and audio. This new feature will search and match by name, time-code, or any common metadata items. In addition, artists can now auto-link audio files to shots purely based on metadata and file name.
Advanced audio sync
- Broadcast wave support
- Automatically sync to timecode or slate
- Interactive waveform for sync
- Interactive audio scrub
Stereo 3D workflow support
Imagine the creativity of a full stereo workflow that provides consistent, intuitive feedback during the conform, color grading and finishing process. Stereo image pairs are automatically linked for versioning and real-time playback to a wide variety of stereoscopic delivery systems.
- Check and adjust stereo with dedicated link and convergence controls
- Bicubic controls for fixing 3D stereo images
- Position elements relative to the screen plane
- Immediately review decisions in stereo
- Panasonic 3D stereo camera support with automatic stream de-muxing
The new Live View function takes in the SDI signal from a camera and allows artists to work and grade directly on the camera feed. It also reads the camera metadata if available, which is then displayed in the metadata stack in the Player module. In addition, the name of a SCRATCH Gallery item can be based on the metadata of the current shot (e.g. Live View). The determined grade can then be easily linked to the recorded shot further downstream in the pipeline.
Flexibility and extensibility
Future-proof your workflow with an advanced and scriptable XML back-end that allows you to:
- Automate SCRATCH to maximize productivity
- Access your job anywhere via HTML
- Integrate SCRATCH via XML with other tools in your workflow such as Nuke, Shotgun, Avid or Final Cut Pro
- Enhance SCRATCH with OFX plug-ins such as Sapphire, Beauty Box, Twixtor, and Neat Video
- Built-in SQL database supports a full range of metadata
System Requirements for SCRATCH:
- OSX 10.7 and up
- Windows 7 and up
- Min. preferred: Intel i7 Quadcore
- Preferred: Quadro K500, K6000 / Firepro W8000, W9000
- OSX: NVIDIA 4000, K5000, ATI Radeon 5770 / 5870, FirePro D500 / D700
- Min 8Gb, Preferred 12Gb
- AJA Kona, T-Tap, Io
- Bluefish444 Epoch
- BlackMagic DeckLink, UltraStudio
- NVIDIA Quadro 6000SDI on Windows
Meet the all new SCRATCH® v8.2
This new version offers Expanded Metadata Support, a new Live View function, Oculus Rift support, Vanguard H.264 encoding, plus many more new features. Read on…
Expanded Metadata Support
SCRATCH and Lab now include an update to the already powerful media browser for directly managing metadata.
Artists can now:
The new Live View function takes in the SDI signal from a camera and allows you to work and grade directly on the camera feed. It also reads in the camera metadata if available which is then displayed in the metadata stack in the Player module. In addition, the name of a SCRATCH Gallery item can be based on the metadata of the current shot (e.g. Live View). The grade set can then be easily linked to the recorded shot further downstream in the pipeline.
Oculus Rift support
SCRATCH now supports the VR360 file format including
Vanguard H.264 encoding for Mac and Windows
SCRATCH and Lab v8.2 includes the industry-leading H.264 encoder from Vanguard, so artists now have the optimal combination of bitrate, filesize and quality for their dailies and preview content. Moreover, since the encoder implementation is cross-platform, v8.2 brings this industry-standard CODEC to the Mac. So, Mac-based artists users can enjoy the same optimized encoding experience that has traditionally only been available on Windows.
A long list of new features in SCRATCH and Lab v8.2